Spring Stock Preview!
Thrifting a Goodwill Outlet Center isn’t just challenging: It is a trying test of spirit and will. I’ve been at it for two years now, and it knocks me on my ass EVERY SINGLE TIME.
High volume thrift is a dangerous journey. Here’s how the clothes-by-the-pound game is played:
- Approach massive bin of donated crap.
- Plunge arms into bottom of bin; grab as much clothing as wingspan/bicep strength allows; yank in upward direction.
- Sift through first pull; put promising items into cart.
- Repeat 4-5 times for current bin.
- Repeat steps 2-4 for every subsequent bin.
How large is a massive bin of donated crap? Five feet wide, nine feet long, four feet deep – and that’s a conservative guess.
How many massive bins of donated crap exist at Goodwill Outlet Center? Forty or so – enough to scare the shit out of me.
Why do I continue to frequent a place that leaves me battered and brain-fried? Because it’s the biggest payoff in the history of thrift. (Also, because I need stock for my
More laters. Mwah!
P.S. Dig the polaroid frames?! Picnik, I LOVE YOU. :P